missskye

Long After Midnight
Ray Bradbury
Mort
Terry Pratchett
Splintered - A.G. Howard I received this book from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. I'm pleased to say I absolutely loved this book!

A. G. Howard took us down the rabbit hole in a decidedly different take on the Wonderland story. While clearly influenced by the original work and the Tim Burton film, Howard's Wonderland story still had enough twists and surprises to make this urban fantasy fresh and captivating.

Alyssa is a descendant of Alice Liddel and has inherited the curse that plagues all female descendants, she can hear the speech of flowered and bugs and has a tendency to run mad. Of course, to break the curse she must travel down the rabbit hole herself and perform certain tasks. We see the Wonderland characters along the way but in unexpected incarnations and there's a wonderful twist at the end that turns everything upside down.

Naturally, Alyssa is torn between two boys - this IS YA fic after all - but there's none of the typical obnoxious angst that clutters most YA fictional love triangles. Everything about this story is a little wiser, a little more clever, a little more gritty than most offerings of its genre.

All in all, Splintered is by far the best Wonderland inspired story I've read.